Thanks for signing up to be part the Team.
This journey will take the effort and commitment of an amazing team headed by my wife Sue, sons Jason and Zach, my doctors and dear friends.
I appreciate the love and support thus far from all of you. Your prayers and kind words have lifted my soul to new heights.
Through this site I hope to be able to share the journey with you. Feel free to post your thoughts and any information you believe will be helpful.
I have decided to use this private blog instead of other public platforms like Facebook.
Please DO NOT post any information about this journey to FB or other public sites.
Thank you.
I have decided to use this private blog instead of other public platforms like Facebook.
Please DO NOT post any information about this journey to FB or other public sites.
Thank you.
For those of you that are learning about this for the first time....here's how the story begins:
This is a letter I wrote to Byrdie Pompan on Thursday, April
30th, one day before by second biopsy procedure…..
On Sunday night 3-22 at 10:30 pm the General Manager of my
restaurant, The Stand in Century City received an email from Greg Alpert,
location manager from Warner TV, containing a request to film a scene from the
pilot episode of “The Advocate” at our site on Saturday April 4th. At the very same moment I was being
administered a morphine drip at UCLA hospital for what was presumed to be a
recurring episode of pain relating to chronic kidney stones. It wasn’t until I awoke at home the next day and
read my discharge report that I remembered the ER doctor telling me that I
needed to immediately see my personal physician as the CT scan they performed
on me showed a “growth on my pancreas, a legion at a lymph node and two spots
in my liver. At that moment, I
instinctively withheld this information from loved ones and went through the
steps of speaking with my physician who immediately sought and received
approval from my insurance company to get a CT Scan with contrast on April 1st. At the same time, Greg reached out to me
personally with his request to film at our site. We receive requests of this nature from all
of our locations monthly and usually reject them immediately, but for some
reason, I kept talking to Greg. He told
me your personal story, but frankly at the time it only connected with me in
some abstract manner as I was still “undiagnosed” a little in denial and hadn’t
begun openly discussing my “condition” with friends or family. I agreed to the filming and your story stuck
in my mind.
Then on April 1st I went to Hoag Hospital for my
CT Scan. That day changed my life
forever. I got home and received a phone
call from my doctor at exactly 5:05 PM.
I know this time, because every moment thereafter is burned into my
memory and has played back in slow motion in my mind a thousand times
since. He asked if I could please sit
down as this was “not going to be a good conversation”. He proceeded to tell me that the Radiologist
has preliminarily diagnosed my condition as “suspicious for a neuro-endocrine
pancreatic tumor, which has metastasized to lymph nodes and liver”. Even I knew that this meant stage 4
cancer. When asked what my prognosis
was, he told me that if lucky, I might have lymphoma or “the good kind of
pancreatic cancer….the one Steve Jobs had and lived with for nearly ten years”. If I don’t get lucky, I am probably looking
at less than six months to live. No
other options were discussed and he referred me to my new Oncologist and I was
left believing that my time left was extremely limited. He told me that the next steps included a new
blood test and a tumor biopsy which was later scheduled for Thursday April 9th. Well, you can probably guess what it was like
for the next few weeks. Telling my wife,
two adult sons and a few trusted friends that I most likely have pancreatic
cancer was the hardest thing I’ve ever done.
Watching their pain with this burden was dreadful for me. Watching their courage and strength was
inspiring and heartwarming in a way I’ve never before experienced. In the middle of this the filming of your
pilot at The Stand in Century City went off without a hitch.
The blood tests results came back first, before the biopsy
was even performed, without a trace of cancer in my CA-19 tumor panel. Good news, but not in any way conclusive
according to my doctor. The “biopsy will
tell” he stated. We waited over the
weekend from Thursday the 9th until Monday at exactly 11:45 am when
I received an email from my doctor with the results. My boys were with me when I printed the
results to read with them. We huddled as
we read and when we got to the part that said…”no abnormal cells have been
found”, we broke down and cried for 15 minutes without moving from our
three-way embrace.
I have now been diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis. A condition I will need to deal with, but
should not shorten my life significantly.
But I am changed permanently. I
tell friends and loved ones that I would not wish what I went through on my
worst enemy. But I would love to be able
to break off a small piece of what I experienced those 14 days and give it
painlessly to my loved ones in the hope that armed with this experience they
would see life just a little differently, as I now do. It’s still all so fresh and I haven’t really assimilated
my experience completely, but my hope is that I never change back. Not that I was a bad person, because I
wasn’t. Not that my life was less than
full, because it wasn’t that either. But
because there is an altered perception of what is important to me; what really
matters, who really matters and I don’t want to lose it. I’m sure you understand.
In the end I’m writing you because I thought the connection
between your story and mine was far too strange to ignore. The work you do is important. The story your TV show has the potential to
share with people is important. I hope
you get a chance to share it with millions.
Me…. I’ve never been happier or more in love with my life,
family and friends and in a weird way I have a preliminary mis-diagnosis to
thank.
All the best,
Epilogue
On Friday I had a second biopsy procedure called an EUS or
endoscopy with ultrasound at Hoag Hospital in Newport Beach. Immediately after the procedure Dr. Nguyen
broke the news to us that she found pancreatic cancer, not chronic pancreatitis. This was confirmed by the biopsy results on
Wednesday, May 6th.
So starts the journey!
No comments:
Post a Comment